Southeast Asia - South China Morning Post Southeast Asia's latest news, current affairs, politics and regional issues.
- Indonesia’s Semeru volcano erupts, releasing gas clouds and rivers of lava on main islandby Associated Press on December 4, 2022 at 6:42 am
Several hundred residents of nearby villages, their faces smeared with volcanic dust and rain, fled to temporary shelters or left for other safe areas. No casualties have been reported.
- Asia’s scam crisis: fake IDs, bank letters, sob stories among ‘big red flags’by Aidan Jones on December 4, 2022 at 3:30 am
Undeterred by crackdowns and rescue of victims, online fraudsters – who understand the emotions of their victims – are getting sophisticated with scams.
- South China Sea: as US eyes a Subic Bay return, was Chinese ‘coercion’ of Philippines the reason?by Maria Siow on December 4, 2022 at 12:30 am
The Philippines could soon welcome back American troops to a South China Sea-facing port the US gave up 30 years ago. Beijing is sure to find the deal ‘disconcerting’, but observers say it drove Manila into Washington’s arms.
- Russian tourists use chartered flights, foreign credit cards to head back to Thailand in drovesby Bloomberg on December 3, 2022 at 6:37 am
More than 44,000 Russians visited the kingdom in October, compared with less than 10,000 each in the months following the start of the Ukraine war in February.
- Philippines ‘superwoman’ smashes religious, gender stereotypes to resolve conflicts – with help from her daughterby Raquel Carvalho on December 3, 2022 at 3:30 am
As Asean prepares to launch a regional framework on promoting women’s role in peacebuilding, ‘superwoman’ Connie Dumato and her daughter Princess provide a template for female-led conflict resolution.